Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weird issue Ive been having feeling week/powerless/tired/out of breathe etc

The Bikes & Brew Crew proraptor's Avatar
    From
    Anaheim

Default Weird issue Ive been having feeling week/powerless/tired/out of breathe etc

So back in January I decided to start doing 3-4 rides a week again from 2 rides a week and have been feeling great, heck I lost about 25lbs! Then on March 8th at the fully loop night ride on my SS I felt very week. I got home and all my muscles were weak and I almost felt sick. I decided to call out sick from work on 3/9/12 to rest and I felt better the day after and went riding with no problems.

Now this past Thursday night fully ride 4/5/12 I felt the same way. Out of energy, no power, weak muscles etc. I didnít ride Friday (decided to rest) and tried to ride Turnbull Saturday and had no power at all and felt like I was going to pass out all throughout the ride. I finally make it back home and decide to rest Sunday thinking maybe Im just overworking my body but now on Monday Im still weak.

Im sitting in my cubicle right now and donít even feel like using the energy to type this. Am I overworking my body? Maybe I donít have enough Calorie intake? I cant figure it out and Im starting to worry that something might actually be wrong. I did go back to my dr in March for something unrelated to this and he did mention I have high blood pressure. Could that be it? Ive decided not to ride my usual Tuesday night ride and might cancel Thursday if I donít feel well either. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe go and see my doctor?

Check out the high blood pressure. Also try a more nutritious diet. Ive found a better diet gives me more energy. But eating crappy food tastes better so i try to make it balance out.
    SteveC : Will you play Downhill Bikes with me?
    Blindman_22: c-note was cool, but TWC and I have matching back packs. beat that

www.Fullertonbicycle.com
    .-- CHIVEon!

Tom, i had the same thing. It is a viral infection that takes away so much energy. Get your doc to prescribe anti-biotics. takes two weeks but it works. A lot of peeps are getting it including me. I am much better now. Believe me when i say it isn't normal because the virus takes from your energy. I thought the same thing about over doing it..working out 5 nights a week and riding 3-4 times a week. As long as i get a lot of sleep(not 5 hours or less) being that active isn't going to take away energy. Riding 3+ times a week will give you MORE energy. Get it checked out..i had xrays and doc saw i had some liquid at the bottom of my lungs. Not a lot to make it pneumonia but enough to have anti-biotics take it away.
    ''Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.''-- Thomas Alva Edison

How much sleep do you get every night? What is your diet like?

From
    Anaheim

I get 8 hours sleep every night so that isnt the problem. My diet kind of sucks but its never been a problem in the past energy wise.

Thanks for your reply Charlie, Ill probably go get checked out on Friday when I get paid.

From
    Encino

Problems with diet and hydration can cause some of the issues you have. Especially since you have lost so much weight you lack of power could be diet related. When you have extra fat cells you body can tap into those reserves for energy so you can operate adequately without proper nutrition. As your fat stores are depleted your diet becomes more important.

What do you eat post ride for recovery? Are you getting enough carbs and protein to refuel and repair your system?

Quote Originally Posted by zerogravity View Post
    It is a viral infection that takes away so much energy. Get your doc to prescribe anti-biotics.
    Anti-biotics do nothing for a viral infection....unless you get bacterial infection after. I know the cold going around has hit everyone hard and lasts awhile. Make sure you eat a whole bunch the night before and the morning of your ride....that makes SUCH a difference for me
    "My poop is rainbow glorious!" -ridinrox
    1994 Rockhopper almost all OG, AKA: Retro Rocket (The bike that started it all.....)
    2011 Kona Hei Hei, AKA: Night Fury (yes, I have a thing for naming my bikes ;p)

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    Anti-biotics do nothing for a viral infection....unless you get bacterial infection after. I know the cold going around has hit everyone hard and lasts awhile. Make sure you eat a whole bunch the night before and the morning of your ride....that makes SUCH a difference for me
    I think you are right..it was BACTERIAL...i got the two mixed up.
    ''Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.''-- Thomas Alva Edison

STR Veteran
    From
    Anaheim Hills, CA

I was typing a response but noticed that politi-cal had hit the points i was thinking of. If you're not sick I would try to remember what you've been eating on the nights before your rides.

The cold/flu or whatever's been going around lately knocked me out for about 2 weeks. Then I still felt really weak for a few more weeks once I didn't even feel 'sick' anymore.

From
    Anaheim

My nose has been plugged and running but other than that not sure I feel sick. Just thought it was my sinuses (which are a nightmare!)

From
    Moreno Valley

Simple fix stop riding the loop.

Are you eating less during the day before you ride, earlier/later in the day?
    Bryguy17 "they're legit if you've got an accomadating hole in your frame"

My opinion is check your diet. You are what you eat! I've noticed a similar problem with myself a few months ago. My sleep was normal but my diet was primarily the same. Riding more frequently will force your body to crave more effective energy sources. Eat better to feel better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by proraptor View Post
    My nose has been plugged and running but other than that not sure I feel sick. Just thought it was my sinuses (which are a nightmare!)
    It's exactly the same symptoms i had man. I didn't feel "Sick" just super tired.. The liquid/flem in lungs made it hard to do climbs and breath..maybe me really tired where normally it wouldn't be an issue. Just go get it checked out..im pretty positive it is what i had too.

From
    Irvine

For what it's worth I had something similar, with the weakness and I had wheezing going on too when I inhaled or exhaled.. which was annoying to say the least but was also concerning because I was worried about something pneumonia related..I had fluid in the lungs and was prescribed a course of antibiotics.. don't recall which ones they prescribed but I was close to what they consider walking pneumonia.. takes a while to get it cleared up.. not sure if that's what you have but there has been alot of stuff going around and this season it seems tough to shake it off..
    Quote Originally Posted by zerogravity View Post
    It's exactly the same symptoms i had man. I didn't feel "Sick" just super tired.. The liquid/flem in lungs made it hard to do climbs and breath..maybe me really tired where normally it wouldn't be an issue. Just go get it checked out..im pretty positive it is what i had too.

From
    Orange

Sounds like what I dealt with for most of the month of March.....but it went away on its own. Think It was related to the nasty cold/lung infection/pneumonia that I had.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.
    http://warriorssociety.org ........... http://overthehumpseries.com/ ...........

You said it yourself. Your "diet sucks." That in itself will cause weakness, low energy, and high blood pressure, all of which you mentioned. I won't even go into all the other horrible maladies that a poor diet will cause.

The most helpful rule you can adopt is, "if it's not food, don't eat it." McDonalds, Carls, In-N-Out, Taco Bell... NONE of these places sell food; it's all processed, chemical laden goop. None of it will help your health or your riding. If you think you're hungry and have the urge to walk into one of those stores, ask yourself, "Am I going to indulge my weakness, or am I going to man-up and wait until I get home to fix something that is nutritious?" Be weak or be strong; it's a choice.

The bottom line is, if you want to ride like a champion, you need to start eating like one.
    Today is a good day to start.

From
    Huntington beach

How hard are you riding? are you riding 3-4 days a week hard? I ride 2 days a week hard 1 interval day and 2 slow paced recovery rides, with one optional ride day and a no ride day at all. You can only do so much exercising with no recovery time. Take a few easy rides, look at how your eating. Im 24 so i can eat just about anything and get away with it but i notice it on longer effort rides... I recently went off processed foods and my energy is great. IF you had been out at the pow wow i was the one yelling at 5:30am and being way pumped about the whole experience... so take an HONEST look at diet, ride schedules for the week and rest. Thats usually what happens with me. High Blood pressure is sometimes associated with diet and exercise. My resting heart rate after VQ for the past 2 days has hovered at about 75bpm normally im 30 bpm. a lot more to it then just medication. just my input and thoughts, if you still dont feel right go to the doctor just dont rely solely on the doctor.

Whine on!
    From
    A small town in France

Based on your symptoms, I've narrowed this down to:

1. The rockin' pneumonia or

2. The boogie-woogie flu.

But I'd check with a Dr. to be sure.

(feel bettah)
    "Are you being serious? Or, are you posturing after publicly condemning those that poach?" ~ D. Downer

Free Disco

From
    Cerritos

Long shot...but have you been tested for Mono? If you have had a sluggish feeling for a while and you cannot attribute to your diet, mono lingers for a while.

From
    Moreno Valley

Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    You said it yourself. Your "diet sucks." That in itself will cause weakness, low energy, and high blood pressure, all of which you mentioned. I won't even go into all the other horrible maladies that a poor diet will cause.

The most helpful rule you can adopt is, "if it's not food, don't eat it." McDonalds, Carls, In-N-Out, Taco Bell... NONE of these places sell food; it's all processed, chemical laden goop. None of it will help your health or your riding. If you think you're hungry and have the urge to walk into one of those stores, ask yourself, "Am I going to indulge my weakness, or am I going to man-up and wait until I get home to fix something that is nutritious?" Be weak or be strong; it's a choice.

The bottom line is, if you want to ride like a champion, you need to start eating like one.
    Today is a good day to start.
    I have to disagree with In n Out being mentioned here.
    Bryguy17 "they're legit if you've got an accomadating hole in your frame"

21.    Sponsored Links