Thread: stick on cable guides

Default stick on cable guides

any of you guys use these
    just got my joplin 4 and need to affix its cable to the top tube
    currently held in place by zip ties... dont like the look.
    have any of you guys used stick on cable guides? are they reliable?
    here are two of em that i found... anyone use these?

Jagwire Alloy Stick-On Housing Guide

Alligator The Gripper III Stick-on Cable Guides

or is more reliable to use zip tie with cable guide such as
    Alligator The Gripper Zip-Tie

or any other recommendations would be appreciated?

thanks

From
    Riverside

The stick on's don't stay, I vote for the zip tie ones!
    ~Weekends are like recess for adults so play hard until the bell rings

I use the stick-on Jagwire cable guides to keep my GravityDropper cable in place and like denmother said, they do tend to come unstuck after a period of use. That said, I really like them and prefer the cleaner look of the Jagwire product over zip ties. They are relatively cheap and stay put long enough that replacing them from time to time isn't that big a deal.

Zip ties are probably more dependable but there is a greater risk they'll rub on your frame and they kinda look unsightly in my opinion
    "Britain and America...two great nations divided by the same language." -- Winston Churchill

From
    Laguna Niguel

I use the stick on one and it has never come off

From
    Huntington Beach

I had a stick on one...and it started to come off after about 3 years...but at first I was wondering what was going on...it looked like goo...so I cleaned out the goo but then the guide and cable rattled and sounded like a bell for the next hour. So I took my my thoroughly chewed Dentyne ICE gum and stuck the cable guide back to the frame using it ... That was 6 months ago and still going strong.

From
    Cerritos, CA

if u dont like zip ties like me, u can try to use those velcro cable ties. i use those to mount my gps and even hold some brake cables in place.

I LOVE THESE THINGS.

From
    Huntington Beach

Quote Originally Posted by joshik View Post
    if u dont like zip ties like me, u can try to use those velcro cable ties. i use those to mount my gps and even hold some brake cables in place.

I LOVE THESE THINGS.
    I use those to hold my Magicshine 9000 on

IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove CA_descender's Avatar
    From

You do not like the look of the zip ties you are using so why even bother with the "Grippers"? They will still have the tie wrapped around and you get the same look that you do not like.

The Gripper stick-ons would be good but be sure your cable(s) will fit through them as they tend to be narrow.

The Jagwire seem to be the best choice just be sure to remove any and all oil/dirt from where you will mount them and they should stay on a long time. Same goes for the Gripper stick-on.

The draw back with the stick-on style, the glue can loosen up if you let the frame get hot, usually during the summer months when the bike is sitting in the sun or in a garage that is not insulated.

DirtymikeTDB

I used the stick on Jagwires back when I had My KHS, never came off, worked great. Trick is to clean the area extremly well they are going to be mounted. I did however replace the little clippy with a small zip tie though, lost the clippys on the first ride.

Clean the area with alcohol really well, stick them on, let them sit overnight before you mount up the cable... Life will be good

From
    Yorba Linda

i zip tie the dropper cable to the cable next to it
    Resident Lawn Dart

thank you for all the responses

@ca descender... the gripper comes in a stick on (gripper 3) and a zip tie (gripper 2) i figured that if i use the gripper 2 at least there won't be cable rub.

anyone use the alligator gripper 3? experiences?

are the jagwires curved on the sticky side? i have a weird triangular top tube (in cross section) rather than circular tube and if it is curved i dont think that it would lay flat. i have to order these online cause i cant find a local store to check 'em out before purchase.

From
    Laguna Niguel

Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    are the jagwires curved on the sticky side? i have a weird triangular top tube (in cross section) rather than circular tube and if it is curved i dont think that it would lay flat.
    Yes, the Jagwires are curved. You can pick up flat ones at Home Depot in the electrical section.

From
    Fullerton

Quote Originally Posted by CalEpic View Post
    Yes, the Jagwires are curved. You can pick up flat ones at Home Depot in the electrical section.
    Cool. Will have to grab some of those flat ones for my Command Post I just installed.

Quote Originally Posted by CalEpic View Post
    good info! i need one of these for my rear seat stay on my 6-Pack.
    surlygal: Thankfully, I didn't have to taste it

From
    Fullerton (1.6mi from the courthouse)

Hay-twine, bailin' wire, & duct tape....

I've used them and like the little clips, because you can remove and reuse them. In fact, I hate seeing zip ties on the saddles welded to frames. Clean the area well with alcohol I like to "soften" the brackets up by leaving them in the sun for a few minutes. when you peel the backing and stick them on PRESS REALLY HARD on them. the tape is what is known as PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive). the more you press, the better the bond.
    Quote Originally Posted by genusmtbkr5
    This is why I hate the pub...

16.    Sponsored Links