Thread: Planet-X New Jack Flash Frame

Bikes don't kill bunnies
    From
    LBCizzle

Default Planet-X New Jack Flash Frame

SOLD 8/30
    I'm selling my essentially brand new Planet X New Jack Flash frame. I built the bike during recovery from a badly broken ankle. After finally getting the bike together and taking it out for a few rides, I've come to the determination that the frame isn't going to work out for my intended uses.

Name:  NewJack1.jpg
Views: 3046
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  NewJack3.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  NewJack2.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  48.7 KB

These are going for $299 on Pricepoint right now so I'm looking $170(price dropped from $220) since the frame is in perfect condition with no scratches, dings, etc. Outside of having headset cups installed you'd be hard pressed to know it wasn't brand new. The frame will include a basically new FSA Pig headset as well as a new silver Planet X Probe seatpost.

If you would be interested in buying the bike complete, shoot me a PM or email for spec and an offer on price. I don't always notice my PMs here, so an email to clloyd7@aol.com will get my attention if you haven't heard from me after shooting me a PM.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by Flat Broke; 08-31-2006 at 11:14 AM. Reason: frame sold

Bikes don't kill bunnies
    From
    LBCizzle

Price dropped to $170.

Chris

From
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F?

Question

sorry to sound like a noob but what is this bike used for? to do stunts and jumps? urban stuff? why soo cheap? does it suck for climbing and XC stuff? is the frame no good?

BTW what size is it? and what parts do u have on it?
    Perhaps you think you're being treated unfairly?

ShinKen, I took a spin on that bike around the parking lot. The frame is perfect in every way shape and form. I don't think it's ever seen dirt.

Those are pretty much dirt jump, urban and bmx/park frames. Very easy to flick around but would be pretty cramped for XC use unless you are very small. It would be killer to have some fun around town or at the BMX track.

Chris comes from a BMX background but I think he quickly relised he needed more of a trail bike these days.

drive monkey, drive! dirttorpeedo's Avatar
    From
    mtns. of south california

mr. broke what size frame wood we be looking at? not to insult your inteligents,i've got a 2/3yr old jamis dakar f/s frame laying about the house doing nothing but collecting dust,it's a 19in frame,uh wanna trade? lemmienoifyouwanna.the chianstay/swing arm has been replaced w/a better one from the factory....chris.
    professionally speaking of course!

Bikes don't kill bunnies
    From
    LBCizzle

Shinken,

Spookydave hit the nail on the head. I grew up racing ABA, then got into mtn bikes with a GT RTS1 back in the mid/late 90s, that got harked, so I bought a Giant Rainier HT just so I had something to pedal around, but never pur many miles on the rig. Fast forward past getting married and not riding pretty much at all for about 2 years, I go down to the Path and tell I'm I want to build a new HT and kinda gave them some info on the BMX bikes I used to ride. Since I couldn't get my hands on a bike to test ride, I went off some recommendations and web reviews. I busted my ankle really bad right after I bought the frame and just got it together about a month ago. The only problem with the frame is that I don't like how it feels. I was looking for something that felt like a 20" bike in terms of handling and feel, the NJF delivers, but also brings a BMX sized cockpit which I'm not comfortable on. The frame is well built with tight quality welds, and nice hydroformed tubes and cnc'd dropouts and yoke, so no issues there.

As far as geometry/sizing:72degree HT with a 4" fork, 22.4" effetive top tube, 16" chainstays, and a 12.6" seat tube. I couldn't find BB height figures online, but it tapes out at 13.75" from the ground to the centerline of the crank spindle. Spec is pretty straight forward, Marz DJ2 at 110" travel, Mavic 219s laced to Forumla hubs and wrapped in 2.5 minions, PG950 11/32 cassette, XT rear der, Deore shifter, Dk Chopstix (profile knock offs) cranks, FSA spider w/blackspire 32t ring and E13 32special supercharger, Avid mechanicals, Diabolous stem, .243 bars, and midline Tektro levers.

Torpedo,
    I already have my eye on a replacement frame, and with any luck will be ordering this week. However, if you can point me to the geometry for your specific year and model of Dakar, I might be interested just to have something I haven't tried hanging around if I can't move the frame for cash. I'm going to guess that a 19" frame would be a little tall, but who knows. You can shoot me a PM or Email on that subject with the particulars of your frame, shock, etc.

For that matter, if anyone wants to swap for a clean z1 w/20mm axle, I'd be down with that too.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by Flat Broke; 08-21-2006 at 09:48 PM. Reason: its late and I wasn't paying attention

From

if your looking for a good d/j bike cannondale makes a bad ass bike for that,nice and roomy.dont know the specks on the jamis,i htink its a 4in travel frame tho,after the chainstay replacement my son and i went to mammoth and the bike took everything he put it throo.no thrash test tho,just good d/hing.

Bikes don't kill bunnies
    From
    LBCizzle

Torpedo,

The Cannondale Chase is probably the bike you're refering to. You should see the spreadsheet I've been putting together on different FR/DJ hardtails so I can quickly compare geometry and know what I might like/not like. The med Chase is 1.2" shorter in effective top tube, and 1.5" shorter in the wheelbase than the Transition Vagrant which is what I have my eye on. cool lookin frame though and if it were only used for DJ and urban, the low BB height would feel really nice.

I'm probably going down to Adrenaline Bikes this afternoon to order up my new frame so I can get it here, build it up and move on. The Vagrant is definitely more trailsy/FR than the Flash, and should provide for a more familliar feeling.

I'll keep your trade offer in mind if I'm sitting on the frame a few months down the road.

Chris

I'd get one of those Giants they were giving away so you could trail ride with your bros.

Bikes don't kill bunnies
    From
    LBCizzle

I thought about it pretty hard Dave. But I just got back from Adrenaline a little while ago and pulled the trigger on a Vagrant. The main drawback on the Giant was the fact that the HA would have been at 70degrees w/5" of front travel, and to get a long enough effective top tube, I would have been into a 20" frame with nearly a 30" standover.

HT/FS doesn't matter, I still plan to go trail riding with the bros. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the frame gets here Friday, but even if it did, I doubt I'd be able to get much done with Ty's shindig on Saturday.

Chris

From

very well then,nice choice tho,but i dont believe we no what size frame you've got bro.mmmmmnnnnn??size does matter you no!

Bikes don't kill bunnies
    From
    LBCizzle

Quote Originally Posted by dirttorpeedo View Post
    very well then,nice choice tho,but i dont believe we no what size frame you've got bro.mmmmmnnnnn??size does matter you no!
    Size of the New Jack Flash or of the Vagrant? I ordered a Medium Vagrant which equates to a 16.5" seat tube with a 27.7" stand over height.

If you were asking about the New Jack Flash, they only make one size. The seat tube is 12.6" and the stand over height is at 29" inches measured with a 4" fork and 2.5 Minions front and back. Again, there is nothing "wrong" with the New Jack Flash, it just didn't give me the vibe I was looking for once I was in the saddle. The thing wheelies and manuals nice and easy, I just wasn't comfortable on it.

Chris

13.    Sponsored Links