Thread: BRAKES: What would you do?

From
    Madison Heights, VA
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 772

Default BRAKES: What would you do?

I current have Shimano m810 brakes mated to shimano icetech 203/180 6 bolt rotors. I personally feel its too much brake for my SC BLT1. I love them, but too much maintenance for me.

I'm a bit of a weight weenie (even though I'm 250lbs) I know I know....

That being said.

What do you guys think about keeping the icetech 203/180 but buying the shimano XTR RACE brakes and selling the SAINTS.

Long story short, I see all kinds of reviews and comparisons of xt and xtr and trails but nothing comparing the xtr race to the saint m810. Anyone have any feedback on this? I'm also hoping to eliminate my brake rubbing problem that's caused by my frame flexing and the close gap on the 4 piston calipers.

SOLD!
    End of the day, anyone interested in buying my saints? 3 months old, I'll supply brand new xt icetech 180/180 rotors! $275 is my asking price.
    Last edited by genusmtbkr5; 06-16-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: moved to workshop> general bike tech

From
    Orange county
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 229

Completely different brake. Saints are a downhill specific brake so yes the power is going to be insane and if you're doing trail riding/all mountain, those brakes are WAY too much. As far as XTR's, there is no question. They're a must have if its in your range. Awesome power for the weight and they look good! I personally run XTs on two of my bikes and ill never look elsewhere. Hope that helps a little!

Jordan

From
    Madison Heights, VA
    Thanks

It does help Jordan. I'm pulling the trigger on the XTR I can get a great deal on xtr "race" no servo, no adjustments... Is the "trail" THAT much better than the race version? Lastly....

For comparison:
    XT "TRAIL" BRAKES -vs XTR "RACE"
    -which is the better choice...

Thanks!

From
    Orange county
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 229

Supposedly the XTR race brakes have a better feel according to a riding buddy of mine but I've tried both and couldn't see spending 200 bucks more for XTR. If the deal is that good then id get the XTRs because they're lighter and look damn good

From
    Laguna Beach
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 5,613

Get the Trail version. You won't regret it. Xts and XTRs are virtually the same. I have 2012 XTR Trails 'cause I got a ridiculous price on them. Perfection.
    "To me, winning isn't, you do" Ty Webb to Danny (Caddyshack)
    "Young lady, in this house we will obey the laws of thermodynamics." - Homer to Lisa after she invents a perpetual motion machine

From
    Thousand Oaks
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 4,600

Quote Originally Posted by eatsrice91 View Post
    For comparison:
    XT "TRAIL" BRAKES -vs XTR "RACE"
    -which is the better choice...

Thanks!
    XT trail hands down! or XTR trail if you got extra buck or two.......I'm 200lbs and XTR race is more than enough most of the time but I do wish I had a bit more power at times. The trail version of XTR brakes deliver the extra power with not really much weight gain. BTW I have all 3 versions mentioned in this thread for your reference.
    Doh!

STR Veteran
    From
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 1,169

I vote for slx over xt. Only 20 grams heavier than xt and stop as well as xtr.

You lose bling in no shiny master Cylinder and one of the lever adjustments.

8. post thanked by:

mtnbikerfred (06-17-2012)

From
    I.E.
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 1,140

The biggest feature missing from XTR Race is Servo Wave, which means less power. It was designed for better braking control on lighter weight setups with lighter riders, which the XTs and XTR Trails may have been too powerful for. It can be the difference between experiencing "great modulation", or experiencing an "on/off" feel, or it can be seriously underpowered. Since you have too much power, and you don't want to downsize your rotors, it might just work out for you.

From
    Aliso Viejo
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 572

I rode my XTR trails for the first time yesterday. All I can say is wow! Braking power and modulation was insanely good. I was going faster knowing these would slow me down when needed.

I think Shimano has brakes dialed in right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (sucks)
    EB

Loving the 29er Koolaid, try it you'll like it.

11. post thanked by:

thomaswildchild (06-17-2012)

From
    Madison Heights, VA
    Thanks

As much as I want the xtr trails, I ended up with the XTR RACE brake set. I couldn't beat the price on the RACE set. I dont "bomb" DH and am a fairly cautious xc/am rider. I'm hoping with the xtr race and icetech 203/180 rotors, I'll still be able to stop myself ob san juan and around oaks!

Did I make a good SUB $300 choice going from saints to xtr race?

-Kevin

From
    I.E.
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 1,140

Can't say until you ride them. It's a bigger drop in power going from Saint to XTR Race than it would've been to XTR Trail. I personally would've went XTR Trail and downsized the rotor. They're essentially the same, minus Servo Wave (extra power), finned brake pads, and the slightly lighter lever. Hopefully the return policy is good or it was good enough of a deal than you can sell them, if they turn out too weak. Can just add finned pads later on, if they overheat and fade too easily, but they cost about $30 though.

If you were really a weight weenie, you would've gone with Formula R1 brakes.

From
    orange
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 604

i recently swapped my avid juicy 5's for a set of xt's on my all mountain rig. i kept my stock avid 203mm/185 rotors. my best test was blackstar canyons 7.5mile downhill and last week big bear.....WOW!!!!!!!!! puts my avid/elixirs on my stumpy to shame!!
    "quit screwing around you little dipsh*t!! your not in high school anymore, this is serious business!" R. Hobbs (r.i.p.)

From
    Madison Heights, VA
    Thanks

Ill probably buy the finned pads... I had juicy ultimate brakes, I liked them but too much fade under my 240lb.ride weight. Ha ha I also chose the race because of lack of adjustments. My 5yr old son loves the shiny gold adjusters on the saints!

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming. Maybe someone here has made my exact switch saint m810 to xtr race.

From
    laguna beach
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 963

Why r your saints "high maintenance"? I have them on both my trail and "big" bike and i never need to touch them..super easy to bleed, hold a bleed a looong time, pads last forever. i tried out the new xt's and theyre a pain to bleed, air kept getting in, and fluid leaking out due to bad seals...had to warranty them twice and then sold them.
    Get outta my beard, you squawking bastards!

From
    Madison Heights, VA
    Thanks

Only high maintenance because my sc frame flexes just enough to make the longer pads rub. They have a new owner now that I know will enjoy them. I just feel my riding style wasnt hard enough to warranty such a brake.

From
    Aliso Viejo
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 572

As much as I want the xtr trails, I ended up with the XTR RACE brake set. I couldn't beat the price on the RACE set. I dont "bomb" DH and am a fairly cautious xc/am rider. I'm hoping with the xtr race and icetech 203/180 rotors, I'll still be able to stop myself ob san juan and around oaks!

Did I make a good SUB $300 choice going from saints to xtr race?

-Kevin
    Now you're happy and you've got some great brakes, sounds like a good choice to me. I know I love my new 'trails'. I'm over 200lbs and the formula R1's aren't even close to the XTR's. According to my scale they are lighter too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (sucks)
    EB

Loving the 29er Koolaid, try it you'll like it.

From
    Madison Heights, VA
    Thanks

I wanted to extend my thanks to you guys for the feedback and thoughts. I ended up with the XTR RACE brakes. I bought this set because of the price! After riding them, I thought I would offer a few words regarding them!

My review: AWESOME POWER, CLEAN LOOKS, .33lbs lighter than my saints! Now I know I'll never feel the weight savings and yeah, I myself weigh in at 235lbs (without gear), but that said, these brakes offer ample stopping power at a fraction of the weight. My background as an automotive mechanic leads me to my final thoughts. AMPLE, MECHANICAL and PRACTICAL! I love the mechanical feeling of these brakes... You don't get the power assist feeling of the servo wave technology but what you do get is a chance to directly control your bikes stopping power! Skid control is in my opinion easier to control with the "race" version than with the "trail". Sure, you have to squeeze harder to stop harder, but isn't that how it should be? Best of all, SILENT ACTION & MODULATION! I say, try them!
    Last edited by eatsrice91; 06-20-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Swype sucks

From
    laguna beach
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 963

, I myself weigh in at 235lbs
    You lost 15 pounds in 4 days?
    Get outta my beard, you squawking bastards!

21. post thanked by:

eatsrice91 (06-20-2012)

From
    Madison Heights, VA
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sir crashalot View Post
    You lost 15 pounds in 4 days?
    Busted! I got away with it at the DMV, but you sir, are good! Lol I figure I gain 10 lbs with my camelbak.
    The grass IS greener on the other side!

23.    Sponsored Links