Thread: Going for the last 10% - Fire at Santiago Oaks

Thanks
    Thanks earned: 8,160

Default Going for the last 10% - Fire at Santiago Oaks

It's bad enough that 90% of this park got burned recently. Today, somebody set a fire today at the Oaks right by the submerged dam. Me and my riding buddies saw the smoke just before starting the climb up the first b!tch. By then the smoke was about 20-30 ft in the air. When we got to the dam we found a hiker with a small dog trying to dose the fire with his water bottle. Luckily the ranger showed up with some buckets so we helped bail water from the dam to put the fire out while the ranger went to go meet the OC fire dept.

It was out pretty quick with no real damage done but jeez man, hasn't this park been
    through enough?

Feel bad though for my riding bud, who managed to lose his sunglasses down by the dam and then had an asthma attack on the 2nd B!tch from the breathing smoke from the fire.

2. post thanked by:

26'er Zen Master (05-02-2007), dstepper (05-03-2007), Edog (05-02-2007), Hanzo (05-03-2007), LoisMustDie (05-03-2007), Marshall Willanholly (05-03-2007), maxwell (05-03-2007), MOSH1DH (05-02-2007), ocrider (05-03-2007), OTHRIDER (05-02-2007), Red Ryder (05-03-2007), Schecky (05-03-2007), Shannon (05-03-2007), ShinKen (05-03-2007), Skeeter (05-03-2007), Waldo (05-02-2007)

From
    Laguna Niguel
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 14,678

Good job C.

Hopefully the idiot that set the fire is caught. Or even better accidently lights himself on fire.

C

Thanks

Yeah, well, unfortunately if the dude lights himself on fire he'll probably cause a bigger fire in the process.

At least this time it was right by the dam where's there's plenty of water close by.

From
    Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The Path....
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 7,040

Dang, C - you don't waste any time! And how come your camera phone pics come out so much better than mine (notice I didn't even bother at the time).

That was a strange ride in all kinds of ways. Hope for a better one next time.
    ....riding sweep, whether I mean to or not.

Thanks
    Thanks earned: 9,205

wtf man.... i'm a pretty peaceful guy, but if i ran into anyone doing that kind of sh*t i would seriously have to put the smack down on them
    SurlyGal: I kept waiting for it to get hard and it never did

From
    Thanks

Man, I'd blocked out some of the bizarreness until I was telling my wife about the evening:

Witness to a major car accident.

Helped stop a fire.

Fell (harder than I thought at the time) on my previously broken kneecap while pouring buckets on the smoldering logs. Sore now.

Lois loses sunglasses (Lois had a nice pair), with 3 riders, one hiker, 3 fireman, and a park ranger all looking for them.

Lois's asthma flares up on the B's

My bike is jumping gears

Pho's bike has rear hub problem

I ride like crap, walking stuff I'd usually roll.

Plus the generally surreal nature of riding through the Oaks after the Windy Ridge fire, now that it looks like Volcanoes National Park.

And that was all in a little over an hour.
    Am I forgetting anything guys?

Hope Whiting is a "normal" loop tomorrow!

From
    Orange
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 1,372

Yea Nam reprazent like only a tru deuce sixer would beat his ass then shank him in the throat with your shiv.
    2 26" wheels one dark lord
    DEUCE 6'ER LOCO'S FOR LIFE

Courage is the resistance to fear the mastery of fear. Not the absence of fear.

Thanks

Well that about covers it. Except for the part when one of the firemen suggested that "Hey, maybe since you helped put this fire out the Park [Santiago Oaks] will buy you some new sunglasses to say Thanks."

The ranger heard that and was laughing her azz off.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    Man, I'd blocked out some of the bizarreness until I was telling my wife about the evening:

Helped stop a fire.

Fell (harder than I thought at the time) on my previously broken kneecap while pouring buckets on the smoldering logs. Sore now.

Lois loses sunglasses (Lois had a nice pair), with 3 riders, one hiker, 3 fireman, and a park ranger all looking for them.

My bike is jumping gears

Plus the generally surreal nature of riding through the Oaks after the Windy Ridge fire, now that it looks like Volcanoes National Park.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 26'er Zen Master View Post
    Yea Nam reprazent like only a tru deuce sixer would beat his ass then shank him in the throat with your shiv.
    dats right because when I remove the blade that I keep in my boot from its sheath I cannot return it until it has split blooood

11. post thanked by:

ShinKen (05-03-2007)

From
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tkblazer View Post
    dats right because when I remove the blade that I keep in my boot from its sheath I cannot return it until it has split blooood
    Damn. Gotta remember never to ask if I can borrow a tool from you!

13. post thanked by:

LoisMustDie (05-03-2007)

Beer! How did you know? LoisMustDie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks earned: 249

Wanna hear something worse? I thought I was wearing my fav. mtn. biking glasses...nope. I had on a spankin' new pair o' shades! GRRRRR - I'm thinking, now, of going back and reaching my arm in that mucky water to get them back!

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post

Helped stop a fire.

My bike is jumping gears

As if that single-speed wasn't enough to kill me. Oh well, back to 100% and ready to ride!

*mental note - don't inhale smoke right before crushing up the B!s

Quote Originally Posted by Pho'dUp View Post
    ... and then had an asthma attack on the 2nd B!tch from the breathing smoke from the fire.
    Last edited by LoisMustDie; 05-03-2007 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoisMustDie View Post
    Wanna hear something worse? I thought I was wearing my fav. mtn. biking glasses...nope. I had on a spankin' new pair o' shades! GRRRRR - I'm thinking, now, of going back and reaching my arm in that mucky water to get them back!
    Bummer dude. I liked those shades. They were very old school "Boyz in the Hood" style.

16. post thanked by:

LoisMustDie (05-03-2007)

Thanks

Totally! I'm going there at lunch to try and fish them out! Wish me luck

Bummer dude. I liked those shades. They were very old school "Boyz in the Hood" style.

Thanks

hey carl, i saw you guys before you went riding... i caught a pic of lois right before he started suiting up sportin the new shades

19. post thanked by:

LoisMustDie (05-03-2007), Pho'dUp (05-03-2007)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tkblazer View Post
    hey carl, i saw you guys before you went riding... i caught a pic of lois right before he started suiting up sportin the new shades
    At least I have something to remember them by.

Totally! I'm going there at lunch to try and fish them out! Wish me luck
    VICTORY IS MINE!

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]So I went to Santiago Oaks on my lunch break. I was totally prepared for defeat but I trudged forth. I new I would have to stick my arm in the murky water; I could not have imagined how deep. I started in, smelling the stench that made my stomach curl. Never mind, I told myself. I kept reaching further and deeper still without reaching bottom. Finally, once my arm was in almost to my shoulder, bottom revealed itself to my wanting fingertips. Could I find them? Doubtful. I felt to the right: nothing. I felt to the left: something weird. Was it a stick or perhaps a rock? No, it was my shades![/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Now I think I need to change my nick name from LoisMustDie to SwampThing; because even though I smell like a swamp, I have a smile on my face. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
    Last edited by LoisMustDie; 05-03-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

21. post thanked by:

tkblazer (05-03-2007)

Thanks
    Thanks earned: 9,329

reminds me of the $5.00 "locs" that you could get at the liquor store.
    nice job on being proactive in regards to the fire guys and congrats to LOIS for finding his glasses!
    surlygal: Thankfully, I didn't have to taste it

23. post thanked by:

LoisMustDie (05-03-2007)

Thanks

hey stewie... .you better stick those shades in a bath of bleach to kill the funk that has been growing on it over the past 24 hours

25. post thanked by:

LoisMustDie (05-03-2007)

Thanks

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Finally, once my arm was in almost to my shoulder, bottom revealed itself to my wanting fingertips. Could I find them? Doubtful. I felt to the right: nothing. I felt to the left: something weird. Was it a stick or perhaps a rock? No, it was my shades![/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Now I think I need to change my nick name from LoisMustDie to SwampThing; because even though I smell like a swamp, I have a smile on my face. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Euewww. You better wash those things in some hot soapy water! Maybe something stronger like dilute alcohol. Spot check, though, it may haze the plastic or pissoff the slimey moss growing on the frames!

Goodjob SwampThing!

Quote Originally Posted by guero View Post
    reminds me of the $5.00 "locs" that you could get at the liquor store.
    nice job on being proactive in regards to the fire guys and congrats to LOIS for finding his glasses!
    "Locs" That's too funny.
    Last edited by Pho'dUp; 05-03-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

27. post thanked by:

LoisMustDie (05-03-2007)

From
    Thanks

Lois, lemme take those specs for ya: I'll have the wife take them to work and run em through the medical decontamination thingamagig. I fear for your health, man. No way I'd want that pond scum near my eyes or nose. Remember, we know of at least one dead fish that's been stewing in there!

29.    Sponsored Links